Director: Professor Antonios Karageorgos (Government Gazette 312 / 20.02.2021, Y.O.D.D.) - https://fwsd.uth.gr/teams/karageorgos/
The fields of activity of the Laboratory of Applied Informatics and Digital Technologies concern:
1. The provision of a high level of knowledge, the promotion of basic and applied research, and the training of students and executives of companies and organizations in Applied Information and Digital Technologies on the entire value chain of forests and with emphasis on the subjects covered by the laboratory.
2. Carrying out economic and technical research and providing effective consulting action to companies in productive sectors to make appropriate decisions and support them.
3. The training of business executives to gain a high sense of responsibility and efficiency in matters of Applied Informatics and Digital Technologies such as digital maturity, digital transformation, intelligent product design, organization, management and operation of production units, transition to the Industrial Revolution and 4.0, entrepreneurship.
4. The solution of problems and the development of collaborations with companies, institutions, educational and research institutions in Greece and Abroad that are directly related to the objects of the Laboratory.
5. The development of technological, organizational and methodological innovations based on applications of Information and Digital Technologies in companies and organizations to enhance competitiveness and diversification of individual product sectors of the market.
6. The research, development and application of scientific principles, techniques and methodologies related to applications of Informatics and new Digital technologies in the business processes of companies and organizations such as supply, financial operation and marketing operation, communication with customers, and production and product availability.
7. The consulting of companies and elaboration of relevant researches and studies in matters of strategy, organization, management, production, financing and financial management using applications of Informatics and Digital Technologies.
8. The combination of knowledge, practical skills and developments that characterize the modern business environment and IT technologies, with the principles of sustainability and sustainable development.
9. The provision of students with the necessary tools (cognitive and technological) that will enable them to implement practices and processes of digital transformation and Industry 4.0 in the context of a smart, sustainable and inclusive development in the private and public sector.
10. Optimizing the utilization of forests and the natural environment, and creating added value throughout the supply chain, applying new Digital Technologies and IT Application solutions, and developing environmentally friendly innovations in existing and emerging markets.
11. The development of digital skills and methods of digital transformation and Industry 4.0 with the aim of enhancing the employment and professional rehabilitation of the graduates of the DEXYS Department, in the fields of primary production, processing of forest products, industry and wood-furniture companies , the production of energy from renewable sources and biomass, tourism, environmental business consulting, investment implementation, project management, preparation and submission of research and investment proposals for financing, certification of products and services, education and training in environmental content, but also in the wider and narrower public sector.
12. The elaboration of research and training programs related to the interests of the Laboratory.
13. The production of accessible educational material and design of diversified educational programs on the above issues.
14. Any form of cooperation with the academic staff of the Department of Forestry, Wood Sciences and Design or other Departments of the University of Thessaly as well as with other laboratories, institutes, research centers, environmental centers, museums, cultural centers, academic institutions, business institutions, and associations, private sector companies, etc. of the country and abroad, provided that the scientific objectives of the respective cooperation will be harmonized with those of the Laboratory.
15. The organization of scientific lectures, workshops, seminars, symposia, conferences and other scientific events at the invitation of Greeks and scientists of recognized prestige at home and abroad and the realization of publications and publications in Greece and abroad.
16. The training of public and private sector executives and the information of the general public on issues related to the research activities and objectives of the Laboratory.
17. The development of online and physical communities and fora with the participation of students / three, teachers, but also any interested party who embrace the goals of the Laboratory.
18. The provision of services to individuals and any legal form of organizations in accordance with what is provided in the PD. 159 (Government Gazette A '53 / 27.04.1984). Indicative services are:
i. Evaluation of the digital maturity of companies and organizations and suggestions of steps and actions for digital transformation,
ii. Designing an integrated digital strategy for businesses and organizations using digital channels to optimize the digital footprint, enhance the customer experience through digital interaction, and promote products using digital technology,
iii. Conducting online surveys on potential or active customers and qualitative and quantitative data analysis aimed at optimizing digital transformation and digital innovation,
iv. Optimizing tools and processes for businesses and organizations with methodologies such as Design Sprints, Customer Journeys and User Testing,
v. Training of companies and organizations for the cultivation of digital culture that will promote customer-centricity, innovation, cooperation and common understanding at all levels and their functions,
vi. Training of companies and organizations on digital skills in order to develop the digital and technological knowledge required for a successful digital conversion,
vii. Optimization of forest management planning,
viii. Calculation of forest fire risk indicators,
ix. Evaluation and elaboration of forest management proposals,
x. Optimization of wood cutting methods,
xi. Development and optimization of mathematical algorithms for ecological modeling and simulation,
xii. Image categorization and Remote Sensing data analysis,
xiii. Requirements Analysis and Design of Information Systems of companies and organizations,
xiv. Development of innovative software systems and digital technologies to meet the needs of businesses and organizations.
Members of the Laboratory:
Professor Antonios Karageorgos - https://fwsd.uth.gr/teams/karageorgos/
Assistant Professor Efthymios Lallas - https://fwsd.uth.gr/teams/lallas/
George Vitsiotis, member of Laboratory Technical Staff
Undergraduate course courses supported by the laboratory:
KM131 Introduction to Computing
KM161 English I
KM231 Statistics and Data Analysis
KM261 English II
ΔΠΥ731 Remote Sensing & Telemetry
ΞΣΥ731 Furniture Design Software
ΔΠY821 Geographic Information Systems in Natural Environment
ΞΣΥ821 Digital Manufacturing Systems
ΞΣE791 Industry 4.0 in Furniture Sector
ΞΣE881 Digital Technologies and Intelligent Systems
ΞΣE971 Virtual and Augmented Reality Technologies