Uninsured undergraduate and postgraduate students and doctoral candidates are entitled, in accordance with the circular of the Ministry of Education, to full medical and pharmaceutical care in the National Health System (NHS) with coverage of the relevant costs by the National Health Service Provision Organization.

Students now turn to the Public Health Structures with their AMKA, as the University cannot issue or renew health booklets to uninsured students from the 2017-2018 academic year.

European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is a free card that offers access to public medical care under the same conditions and at the same cost (in some countries, free of charge) as the insured of the country in question.

The European Health Insurance Card does not replace travel insurance, nor does it cover private health care.

The publication of the Card for the uninsured students of University of Thessaly who move for educational purposes to one of the 28 countries of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, is carried out by the Directorate of Student Affairs and any costs incurred are covered by the University.

To issue an EHIC, the following documentation is required:

  • an application for an EHIC signed by the student
  • an attestation of the duration of travel abroad as part of an Erasmus+ Exchange Program, issued by the International Relations Office
  • a photocopy of the Academic ID card

In order to issue an EHIC, it will be confirmed that the student is not covered by another insurance agency using the Uninsured Citizens Registry data kept at the e-Government Center for Social Security Services.