Student Welfare

Here you will find information about Academic Identity, Student Nutrition, Student Housing, Health Insurance & Care.

Academic Identity

Academic ID is entitled to all students of universities. of the country.

However, beneficiaries of an Academic Identity, valid for a Special Ticket Card (PASO), are:

  • Full-time students of the first cycle of study if they do not already have a university degree and for the number of years required to obtain a degree according to the indicative study program increased by two (2) years.
  • Part-time undergraduate students if they do not already have a university degree for twice as many years as required to obtain a degree according to the indicative curriculum.
  • Second cycle students who do not already hold a postgraduate degree for the number of years their study lasts according to the respective second cycle curriculum.
  • Third year students if they do not already hold a doctorate for four (4) years from the date of enrollment.
  • Students-citizens of Member States of the European Union and third countries, who study in a domestic university under the mobility program of the European Union "Erasmus" for the duration of their study in a domestic university.
  • The termination of the student status for any reason automatically implies the termination of the right to hold the Academic Identity, which in this case should be returned to the Secretariat of the relevant Department.
    The process of obtaining the Academic Identity is carried out through the website


Student Meals

At the premises of the Department of Forestry, Wood Sciences & Design (FWSD) in Karditsa, there is a student club to feed more than 500 students.

The students of the FWSD Department submit electronically the Application for the granting of free food, through the appropriate online platform of the University of Thessaly. ( ), using the codes of their founding account. Applications are submitted before the end of the current academic year, and on dates set by the Student Welfare Department, in order for students to receive food for the next academic year.

The first-year students submit the application electronically after the completion of the registration-identification in the Secretariats of the Departments and the acquisition of the codes of their institutional account and on dates set by the Directorate of Student Welfare.

More details on the relevant website of the University of Thessaly:


Student Accomodation

On the campus of the University of Thessaly in Karditsa there are dormitories for the accommodation of 104 students / triples in double rooms.

Criteria for the selection and accommodation of students is their financial and family status. Health reasons are also taken into account as well as other parameters that affect the financial situation of the family. For more information, interested parties can contact the Independent Department of Food & Housing in Karditsa: Student Home, Terma Mavromichali, tel: +30 24410 72042

More details on the relevant website of the University of Thessaly:


Health care & insurance

According to the Ministry of Education Circular, uninsured undergraduate and postgraduate students, as well as doctoral candidates, are entitled to full medical and hospital care in the National Healthcare Service (NHS – Greek: ESY) with coverage of said expenses by the National Organization for Health Care Services (Greek: EOPYY).

The students are referred to Public Health Services with their Social Security number, as since the academic year 2017-2018 the University is not allowed to issue nor renew health booklets for uninsured students.

Any health booklets that may have been issued by the UTH are revoked.

European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is a free card offering access to public medical care under the same conditions and cost (in some countries, there is no cost) as the insured citizens of the country.

The EHIC does not substitute travel insurance, nor does it cover private healthcare expenses.

An EHIC for uninsured UTH students traveling for educational purposes in one of the 28 countries of the EU, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland is issued by the Student Welfare Directorate and any expenses are covered by the University.

To issue an EHIC, the following documentation is required:

  • an application for an EHIC signed by the student
  • an attestation of the duration of travel abroad as part of an Erasmus+ Exchange Program, issued by the International Relations Office
  • a photocopy of the Academic ID card

  • In order to issue an EHIC, it will be confirmed that the student is not covered by another insurance agency using the Uninsured Citizens Registry data kept at the e-Government Center for Social Security Services.

    More details on the relevant website of the University of Thessaly: